- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Haldon Hall
- ca. 1775 - 1780
- Pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image height 230mm,
- image length 406mm
- two sheets watermarked with Heawood's design no.1855
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Untraced until sold by A. J. Lowe (Rowe?) at Sotheby’s (as by John White Abbott) on 21 November 1968, lot 34, to Folio Fine Art, from whom it was bought in 1969 by a private collection (it was still in this collection in 1997).
- Associated People & Organisations
- A. J. Lowe [Rowe?]
- Folio Fine Art
- Private Collection
- Sotheby's, London
- 1 'Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p.50
- 2 However, although Wilcox appeared to attribute to Swete the notion that the wings were “recently constructed”, Swete was clear that they were in fact not recent but were part of Sir George Chudleigh’s original design: Travels in Georgian Devon: The Illustrated Journals of the Reverend John Swete, eds Todd Gray and Margery Rowe, Devon Books in association with Halgrove: Tiverton, 1997, vol 1, p.8
- 3 T. Bonnor, Haldon Hall, 1790 (John Somers Cocks, Etched on Devon's Memory, Devon Library and Information Services: Exeter, 2002-3; accessed 26 January 2005 at http://www.devon.gov.uk/library/locstudy/etched.html)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.