- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Haldon Hall
- View in Devonshire
- Haldon Hall, near Exeter
- Oil on canvas
- image width 800mm,
- image length 1257mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / 1780”
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Haldon Hall
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Perhaps commissioned by Sir Robert Palk (1717–1798) and thereafter untraced until owned by Thomas Mark Gambier Parry of Highnam Court, Gloucester (d.1966), whose executors sold it at Bruton Knowles’s auction of the contents of Highnam, 1–3 May 1969, lot 599 (as “English School (Eighteenth Century) An Oil Painting, Landscape with Large House, Canvas 32in x 50in”), for £1,400 to Leger Galleries. In the same year it was sold by Leger to the current owner, the Tate Gallery (T01155). Gambier Parry’s mother Evelyn Elizabeth (d.1935) was the daughter of Sir Lawrence Palk, 4th Bt, cr. 1st Lord Haldon in 1880. Probably, then, the painting descended to him from his mother’s family (Lord Haldon was declared bankrupt and much of the collection from Haldon was circulated among the family).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Tate, London, 1969, T01155
- Leger Galleries, London, 1 May 1969, GBP 1400
- Bruton, Knowles & Co, Bruton, 1 May 1969, lot 599
- Thomas Mark Gambier Parry ( - 1966)
It was sold in 1969 by his executors
- [?] Sir Robert Palk (1717 - 1798)
- Exhibition History
- [?] The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1780, no. 21 or 24 as 'View in Devonshire'
- English Occasions, Leger Galleries, 1969, no. 14
- Landscape in Britain, ca. 1750-1850, Tate Gallery, 1973, no. 101
- Luke Herrmann, British Landscape Painting of the 18th Century, Faber: London, 1973, p. 75
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, pp. 48, 50, 131
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.