- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- In the Villa Barberini
- Pen and black ink, watercolour with gum
- image width 354mm,
- image length 267mm
- mounted by the artist, the mount now stuck down on a modern mount
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No.53 / F.Towne. delt / 1781”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “1781. Evening Sun from the right hand”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the work
John Thomas 'Antiquity' Smith, Catalogue of the Towne Bequest, 1817, Department of Prints and Drawings, British Museum
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.23).
- Associated People & Organisations
- British Museum
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 146 or 147 as 'In the Villa Barberini'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1934, no. 421
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 202
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 156
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 113
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 126
- Luke Herrmann, British Landscape Painting of the 18th Century, Faber: London, 1973, p. 77
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.