- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Ivy Bridge in Devon
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 200mm,
- image length 325mm
- laid paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / delt 1775”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Ivy Bridge in the County of Devon / drawn on the spot / [erased] / by / Francis Towne”
- Object Type
Untraced until in the collection of Professor Reginald Alton (1919–2003) of St Edmund Hall, Oxford, from 1955 or earlier. Alton sold it at Sotheby’s on 19 March 1970, lot 139, for £1,400, where it was bought by John Mitchell & Son. It was sold at Sotheby’s on 13 November 1980, lot 35, for £4,000, and again at Sotheby’s on 10 March 1988, lot 85, for £13,000, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Professor Reginald Alton (1919 - 2003)
- John Mitchell & Son, London
- Sotheby's, London
- Exhibition History
- [?] Early English Water-Colours and Drawings, Squire Gallery, 1933
- [?] Loan Exhibition of English Watercolour Drawings in Aid of the Friends of the Courtauld Institute, John Mitchell & Son, London, and Drapers Hall, London, 1970, no. 58
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.