- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image width 300mm,
- image length 390mm
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View, taken at Killerton Devonshire / the Seat of Sir Thomas Acland. Bart / by / Francis Towne. 1786.”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Auction records (image)
Sold at Hampton & Littlewood of Exeter on 20 July 2005, lot 368, for £3,700 to the National Trust, the current owner. A note on the National Trust collections website (accessed 22 Dec 2011) states “note from Hugh Meller – The auctioneer tells me that the painting was owned by Mrs. Betty Bagwell, organist of Killerton Chapel or perhaps Broadclyst Parish Church, in the 1920s. She was given the watercolour by ? . . .” Given its subject, date, and ownership early in the twentieth century by someone associated with Acland estates, it seems safe to assume this was commissioned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland or his wife.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Killerton House, Broadclyst, Exeter, 20 July 2005, GBP 3700, NT 921950
- Hampton & Littlewood, Exeter, 20 July 2005
- Mrs Betty Bagwell
Noted as being in the collection of Mrs Betty Bagwell, organist of Killerton Chapel or perhaps Broadclyst Parish Church, in the 1920s.
- Lady Henrietta Anne Acland (née Hoare) (1765 - 1841), Broadclyst, Exeter
- [?] Sir Thomas Dyke Acland (1752 - 1794), Broadclyst, Exeter, 1786
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.