- Lake Como
- No date
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, brown and grey washes
- image height 155mm,
- image width 217mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, verso
- “The Lake of Como” and initialled “JWA” and “FT”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Bearnes Hampton & Littlewood records (image)
Sold at Bearnes Hampton & Littlewood of Exeter on 23 October 2013, lot 451 (see also 830), by a deceased estate. It is probably the same drawing offered by the White Abbott family at Sotheby’s on 11 November 1993, lot 88, where it did not sell (although Sotheby’s gave marginally different dimensions—150 x 210 mm—and described ink as brown rather than grey). Two of the 2013 group had been given to the artist’s daughter, Elizabeth Abbott, in 1832.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Bearne's, Exeter, 23 October 2013, lot 451
- [?] Sotheby's, London, London, 11 November 1993, lot 88
- Elizabeth Abbott, Exeter, 1832
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.