- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Lake Como (Lago di Mezzola)
- ca. 1781
- Pencil, pen and brown and grey inks, watercolour
- image height 154mm,
- image length 211mm
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked “J WHATMAN 1804 [or 1810?]”, with a thin and shaky grey washline
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne. / No32. delt.1781”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No32 / Lake of Como / drawn from Nature / by / Francis Towne / [“August 2[. . .]th. 1781” scratched out]”
- Object Type
Untraced until sold anonymously at Foster’s on 27 July 1910, lot 151 (a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793, FT862), for 25s. to Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.51), whose descendants sold it in 1996 with the rest of Oppé’s collection to the Tate Gallery (T08569).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Tate, London, 1996, T08569
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 27 July 1910, GBP 25s, no.51
- Foster's auctioneers (1883 - 1940), 27 July 1910, GBP 25, lot 151
Sold a a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793 and a drawing by an unidentified pupil
- Exhibition History
- unidentified exhibition, Institute of Art Research, 1929, no. 13
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 10
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, Royal Academy, 1958, no. 82
- Exhibition of Works from The Paul Oppe Collection, National Gallery of Canada, 1961, no. 81
- De Englese Aquarel uit de 18de Eeuw, Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam; Albertina, Vienna, 1965, no. 120
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 145
- Peter Bower, 'Drawing Paper in the 18th and 19th centuries: Papers from the Opp_ Collection, part 2', The Quarterly Journal of the British Association of Paper Historians: [?] London, 1998, p. 19
- 1 Coxe 1789, vol.3, p.13.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.