- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- No date
- Pen and ink, grey wash
- sheet, verso
- “This 3rd drawing Finished for Sr. Thomas Acland to have 8 guineas for it”
- in pencil
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Landscape, Untraced
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé notes
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP200). In December 1935 Judith Merivale sold it to Sir Francis Dyke Acland, Bt (1874–1939), for £7 10s. with FT441 and FT442. The drawing is untraced after this date.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Sir Francis Dyke Acland (1874 - 1939), December 1935, GBP 7.10s
Acquired with FT441 and FT442
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP200
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP200
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: miscellaneous notes.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.