- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pen and black ink with grey wash
- image width 195mm,
- image length 259mm
- cream laid paper
- mounted by the artist on cream laid card measuring 263 x 327mm
- sheet, recto, lower right
- "Francis Towne 1774"
- in black ink
- artist's mount, recto, lower left
- "F. Towne"
- just below the image, in pencil, probably in Towne's hand
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum's own information
Acquired at an unknown date by Dr Christian David Ginsburg (1821–1914) of Oakthorpe, Palmers Green, London, whose executors sold it at Sotheby’s on 20 July 1915, lot 67. In 1922 it was given to the current owner, the Art Institue of Chicago (Acc.1922.1477), by William F. E. Gurley (whose stamp is recto, bottom left) in memory of his mother. According to David Solkin, “most of the drawings [from Gurley’s collection] appear to have been acquired at London sale-rooms or dealers just prior to the First World War” (Solkin 1978, p.411), in which case Gurley was presumably the purchaser at Sotheby’s.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Dr Christian David Ginsburg (1821 - 1914)
- William Frank Eugene Gurley (1854 - 1943)
- Sotheby's, London
- David H. Solkin, 'Some New Light on the Drawings by Richard Wilson', Master Drawings, No. 4: New York, 1978, p. 404
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.