- Unidentified circle of Towne
- Landscape, after Francis Towne
- No date
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image height 257mm,
- image width 181mm
- paper watermarked with a Strasburg Lily design
- Object Type
- Landscape Composition
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie’s records; Witt Library (image); YCBA records
Untraced until 1951 when exhibited from the collection of Canon Francis Henry Dumville Smythe (1872/73–1966). It was later acquired by Joseph Hawksley Elliot of Sheffield (1884/85–ca. 1978), whose daughter sold it as a John White Abbott at Christie’s on 14 March 1978, lot 100, for £400 to Agnew’s. This is probably the drawing known to its owner as “A view on the road to Tivoli” by John White Abbott, which she acquired via Agnew’s from Christie’s in ca. 1976/78 (her note to this effect, dated 8 July 1984, is among papers relating to FT865 at the Yale Center for British Art in New Haven). The drawing was offered for sale, again as a White Abbott, at Christie’s on 9 July 1985, lot 84.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London, London, 9 July 1985
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 14 March 1978, GBP 400
- Christie's, London, London, 14 March 1978
- Joseph Hawksley Elliot (1884 - 1978), Sheffield
- Canon Francis Henry Dumville Smythe (1872/73 - 1966), 1951
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.