- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape Composition
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 138mm,
- image length 190mm
- on paper watermarked with an ornamented post horn and the name “LV GEREVUINK” made by the descendants of Lubertus van Gerrevink of Phoenix Mill, Alkemaar, Holland
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “Francis Towne / delt [indistinct date scratched out]”
- in black ink over earlier grey ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No 1 Francis Towne delt / [squiggle, possibly a number] / Saville House No.5 / Leicester Square / London”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Bower 1998; Museum records (image)
Untraced until sold anonymously at Foster’s on 27 July 1910, lot 151 (a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793, and a drawing by an unidentified pupil) for 25s. to Paul Oppé (1878–1957; no.43), whose descendants sold it in 1996 with the rest of Oppé’s collection to the current owner, the Tate Gallery (T08568).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Tate, London, 1996, T08568
- Adolph Paul Oppé (1878 - 1957), London, 27 July 1910, GBP 25s, no.43
- Foster's auctioneers (1883 - 1940), 27 July 1910, lot 151
Sold as a group with FT228, FT257, FT283, FT284, FT296, FT310, FT318, FT319, FT325, FT326, FT327, FT329, FT330, FT339, FT340, FT361, FT793 and a drawing by an unidentified pupil.
- Exhibition History
- 76th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 26
- Peter Bower, 'Drawing Paper in the 18th and 19th centuries: Papers from the Opp_ Collection, part 2', The Quarterly Journal of the British Association of Paper Historians: [?] London, 1998, p. 19
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.