- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape Composition
- No date
- Pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image height 248mm,
- image length 184mm
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne delt / 1780”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Untraced until in the collection of Viscount Radcliffe (1899–1977) prior to its sale at Christie’s on 27 April 1965, lot 191, to Colnaghi (D28447), possibly jointly with another purchaser. Colnaghi sold it on 5 August 1965 to Walter Augustus Brandt (1902–1978), whose descendants offered it for sale at Sotheby’s on 7 July 2011, lot 207.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Sotheby's, London, London, 7 July 2011, lot 207
Offered for sale by Walter Augustus Brandt's descendants
- Walter Augustus Brandt (1902 - 1978), 5 August 1965
- P&D Colnaghi & Co, London, London, 27 April 1965, D28447
Acquired by Colnaghi at Christie's on 27 April 1965, possibly jointly with another purchaser.
- Christie's, London, London, 27 April 1965, lot 191
- Viscount Radcliffe, April 1965
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.