- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape Composition
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 244mm,
- image length 171mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne / delt 1793”
- Object Type
Untraced until acquired by Joseph Hawksley Elliot of Sheffield (d. ca. 1978), whose daughter sold it at Christie’s on 14 March 1978, lot 86, for £2,600 to Spink & Son. On 30 March 1978 Spink sold it for £3,500 to a UK private collector. It was sold at Sotheby’s on 8 July 1982, lot 90, for £3,400, whereafter it is untraced. Probably this is the “Mountainous Landscape” acquired from Bernard Milling by the Fine Art Society (no.4465) and sold on 22 May 1947 to Joseph Hawksley Elliot for £42. It is very likely that Milling acquired it from Judith Merivale or her estate.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 8 July 1982, GBP 3400
- Sotheby's, London, London, 8 July 1982, lot 90
- Spink & Son, London, London, 14 March 1978, GBP 3500
- Christie's, London, London, 14 March 1978, lot 86
- Joseph Hawksley Elliot (1884 - 1978), Sheffield, 1978
- [?] The Fine Art Society, London, London, 22 May 1947, no.4465
- [?] Horace Bernard Milling (1898 - 1954), 1947
- [?] Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.