- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape, Perhaps at Aberddwlas
- Aberddwla in North Wales
- Pencil (?), pen and ink, watercolour
- image width 216mm,
- image length 279mm
- sheet, recto
- “No10 F.Towne delt June 23 1777”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP104b), whereafter it is untraced (although the absence from the Barton Place catalogue of a note indicating its sale or gift by Judith Merivale may mean that it remained in her possession until death).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP104b
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP104b
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.