- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape with a Foot Bridge
- The Foot Bridge
- 1773 - 1780
- Pencil, pen and black and brown inks, watercolour, on laid paper
- image height 178mm,
- image length 229mm
- on laid paper
- mounted by the artist on laid paper now measuring 285 x 345mm but which has been cut
- sheet, recto
- lower left, "F.Towne delt 1780" in brown ink
- artist's mount, recto
- lower left "F.Towne delt 1780" in pencil, and lower right "1773" also pencil, but perhaps in a different contemporary hand
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Untraced until acquired by Martin Hardie (1875–1952) in 1924 (according to museum files). It was acquired from Colnaghi’s by Paul Mellon (1907–1999) in December 1961 and given by him to the current owner, Yale Center for British Art (B1977.14.5955; gift to Yale December 1977).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.