- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape with cattle
- No date
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 190mm,
- image length 260mm
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum records; Jol 2002 (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP1). In February 1934 Judith Merivale sold it to Sidney Kitson and in October 1992 Alice Barbara Kitson gave it to the current owner, the Cecil Higgins Art Gallery, Bedford (P.804).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Higgins Bedford, Bedford, October 1992, P.804
- Alice Barbara Kitson, October 1992
- Sydney Kitson, February 1934
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP1
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP1
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Annual Water Colour Exhibition 1926, The Judge's Lodgings, Winchester, 1926, no. 128
- The Squire Gallery Autumn Exhibition English Watercolours & Drawings, Squire Gallery, 1934, no. 6 as 'Landscape with Cattle and Sheep being driven along a Road, probably an Italian example'
- Wasser, Wolken, Licht und Steine, Mittelrhein Museum Koblenz, 2002, no. 29
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.