- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape with Resting Man, perhaps at Canon Teign
- Woody Landscape
- ca. 1770
- Pen and ink, monochrome wash
- image height 330mm,
- image length 413mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne / delt”
- artist's mount, verso
- inscription reported but not recorded
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- 1951 catalogue; Fine Art Society records (image)
Untraced prior to 19 January 1946, when it was sold by the Fine Art Society for £78 15s. to Guy D. Harvey Samuel, who still owned it in 1951 (the FAS stock book recording their acquisition of this work was missing on my visit in 2006). In 1961 it was on sale again at the Fine Art Society (no.6914), which sold it for £650 to Walter Augustus Brandt (1902–1978), in whose collection it remained in 1962, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Walter Augustus Brandt (1902 - 1978), London, 1961, GBP 650
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 1961, no. 6914
- Guy D. Harvey Samuel, London, 19 January 1946, GBP 78 15s
- The Fine Art Society, London, London, 19 January 1946
- Exhibition History
- Winter Exhibition of Early English Watercolours and Drawings, Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 29 as 'Woody Landscape'
- Three Exeter Artists of the Eighteenth Century: Francis Hayman RA, Francis Towne, John White Abbott, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, 1951, no. 48 as 'Woody Landscape'
- Spring Exhibition of Early English Water-colours, Fine Art Society, 1960, no. 123 as 'Woody Landscape'
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 150
- Iolo Aneurin Williams, 'English Watercolours', The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs, No. 51: London, 1946, p. 75
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.