- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Landscape with Three Witches from Macbeth
- No date
- Pen and ink, (?) monochrome wash
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Witt Library; Wilcox 1997 (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP266). On 14 January 1935 Judith Merivale sold it to Thomas Sherrer Ross Boase (1898–1974) for £10 (with FT800). It was subsequently owned by Dame Edith Margaret Emily “Peggy” Ashcroft (1907–1991).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Dame Edith Margaret Emily Ashcroft (1907 - 1991)
- Thomas Sherrer Ross Boase (1898 - 1974), 14 January 1935, GBP 10
Acquired with FT800
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP266
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP266
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Annual Water Colour Exhibition 1926, The Judge's Lodgings, Winchester, 1926, no. 138
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.