- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- ca. 1780 - 1790
- Pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 257mm,
- image length 178mm
- sheet, verso
- “Lydford, Devonshire”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie's records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945) inherited the drawing in May 1915 (probably BP277, Woodland Scene with man & pack horse, which before 1945 was in the possession of either their nephew William Trevelyan Turner (b.1892) or nephew Charles Herman Merivale (b.1879, d. before 1962). By 1957 the drawing was the property of Francis Temple-West, the second husband of Blanche Liddell whose first husband, John William Merivale (1887–1916), was another Merivale nephew and the brother of Charles Herman Merivale. On 27 February 1956 Temple-West sold it to Agnew’s (no.8338) with FT096, FT603, FT631, FT803, and on 10 December 1956 it was bought there for £120 by J. Hawkesley Elliott of Sheffield (d. ca. 1978). He or his daughter sold it at Christie’s on 1 March 1977, lot 118, for £1,300, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, 1 March 1977, GBP 1300
- Christie's, London, 1 March 1977, lot 118
- Joseph Hawksley Elliot (1884 - 1978), Sheffield, 10 December 1956, GBP 120
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 27 February 1956, no.8338
- Francis Temple West, 1956
- [?] Blanche Liddell
- [?] John William Merivale (1887 - 1916)
- [?] Charles Herman Merivale, 1944
- [?] William Trevelyan Turner, 1944
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, probably BP277, 'Woodland Scene with man & pack horse'
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, probably BP277, 'Woodland Scene with man & pack horse'
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.