- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Loughrigg, near Ambleside
- Loff Rigg near ditto [Ambleside]
- Lough Rigg, Ambleside
- Pencil, pen and brown and grey inks, watercolour, gum
- image height 156mm,
- image length 236mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No5. F.Towne / 1786”
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.5 / Loff Rigg near Ambleside Westmoreland / drawn on the Spot by / Francis Towne / [“1786” scratched out] / morning light from the / right hand”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it reverted to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and she sold it on 10 (according to Agnew’s) June 1921 to Agnew’s (no.9976) for £30, where on 7 (according to Agnew’s and the museum) June 1921 it was purchased (for £75 with FT487) by the Friends of Fitzwilliam Museum for the current owner, the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (no.1051).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Fitzwilliam Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, 7 June 1921, GBP 75, no.1051
Acquired with FT487
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 10 June 1921, GBP 30, no.9976
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 62 as 'Loff Rigg near ditto [Ambleside]'
- Beauty, Horror, Immensity, Fitzwilliam Museum, 1981, no. 118
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 103, 129
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 120
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.