- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- No date
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with gum, scratching out
- image width 278mm,
- image length 217mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F. Towne / delt [scratching out] No.20”
- artist's mount, verso
- “North Wales / No.20 a View near Manturogg drawn on / the Spot by Francis Towne”
- with an erased area
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Frances Ann Laura Solly (b.1858) owned the drawing before it was acquired by Agnes Lupton (1874–1950) and Norman Darnton Lupton (1875–1953) of Hyde Crook, Dorchester, Dorset, who bequeathed it to the current owner, Leeds City Art Gallery (13.201/53). Possibly Frances Solly had inherited the drawing from her sister Emily Buckingham (1853–1923).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds, 1953, 13.201/53
- Norman Darnton Lupton (1875 - 1953), Dorchester
- Agnes Lupton (1874 - 1950), Dorchester
- [?] Frances Ann Laura Solly (1858 - alive in 1932), 1923
Perhaps inherited from her sister Emily Buckingham (1853–1923)
- [?] Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 25 as 'Mantanogg in ditto [ie North Wales]'
- Watercolours and Drawings from the City Art Gallery, Leeds, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1960, no. 43
- The Lupton Collection, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1972, no. 74
- Still Waters... Watercolours from Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1995, no. 10
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 131
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Art Calendar, No. 26: Leeds, 1954, p. 10
- 1 Paul Oppé records.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.