- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Monte Legnone, on Lake Como
- ca. 1781/08/27
- Pencil, pen and black ink, blue, grey and red washes
- image height 155mm,
- image length 210mm
- dimensions are given for the image only, which is on a larger sheet of laid paper
- sheet, verso
- “No.23 / Monte Lenoni / Lake of Como / light from the right hand / Isle des de let / Francis Towne / August the 27th 1781”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the work
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (probably BP54). In 1929 Judith Merivale gave it to her nephew Alexander Merivale (b.1901) and his wife, Elizabeth, probably as a wedding present (see also FT317, FT491). It was sold, probably by them or their heirs, at Sotheby’s on 26 March 1975, lot 238, for £380 to the vendor at Sotheby’s on 9 November 1995, lot 49, where it was purchased by the Louvre, Paris, the current owner.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.