- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pencil, pen and brown ink
- image height 254mm,
- image length 381mm
- various colour indications
- sheet, verso
- numbered “4”, dated 12 September 1781, and identified as Montreux
- Object Type
- Outline only
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé notes; Barton Place catalogue
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP82), whereafter it is untraced.
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.