- attributed to Francis Towne
- Near Canonteign
- Devon Landscape
- A Devonshire Stream
- Figures in a wooded valley below a rocky cliff
- No date
- Pen and (probably brown) ink, monochrome (probably grey and brown) washes
- image height 195mm,
- image length 155mm
- sheet, verso
- signed with initials and with a further unrecorded inscription
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Christie’s records; Philips records (image)
Untraced until acquired by Agnew’s by 1947, and thereafter untraced until offered for sale at Phillips on 7 November 1994, lot 20, as A Devonshire Stream, when it was unsold. It was sold at Phillips on 25 September 1995, lot 47, for £420, whereafter it is untraced. Given the title and Agnew’s provenance from the 1940s, though, it is presumably the work sold by the Fine Art Society to Agnew’s (no.4406) for £36 15s. on 21 January 1946 (Agnew’s records suggest 23 January), which was bought by Canon Ralph S. Dawson of Salisbury (d.1968) on 18 January 1949 for £36 15s. as A Devonshire Stream, whereafter it is untraced. Probably, however, this is the Figures in a wooded valley below a rocky cliff of the same size as this drawing (6⅛ x 7¾ in.), also signed with initials and drawn in pen and brown ink, and grey and brown washes, which was sold by the daughter of Joseph Hawksley Elliot of Sheffield (1884/1885–ca. 1978) at Christie’s on 14 March 1978, lot 89, for £700 to Wordsworth (a pseudonym?). That work was sold again at Christie’s, presumably by Wordsworth, on 21 November 1978, lot 25, for £850 to L. Legh(?), as Figures below a rocky cliff near Canonteign. Elliot was still acquiring drawings in the 1960s, so, assuming the two works are the same, it is feasible that he acquired the Figures in a wooded valley after Dawson had enjoyed a lengthy ownership of the Devonshire Stream. One major flaw in this supposition is the lack of visible figures in the image, although the poor quality of the photograph makes firm judgments on this difficult.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Untraced, 7 November 1995, GBP 420
- Phillips, 25 September 1995, lot 47
- Phillips, 7 November 1994, lot 20
- [?] L. [?] Legh, 21 November 1978, GBP 850
- [?] Christie's, London, London, 21 November 1978, lot 25
- [?] Wordsworth, 14 March 1978, GBP 700
- [?] Christie's, London, London, 14 March 1978, lot 89
- [?] Joseph Hawksley Elliot (1884 - 1978), Sheffield, 1978
- [?] Ralph S. Dawson, Salisbury, 18 January 1949, GBP 36.15s
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 1947, no.4406
- [?] The Fine Art Society, London, London, 1946
- Exhibition History
- [?] Winter Exhibition of Early English Watercolours and Drawings, Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 132 as 'Devon Landscape'
- 75th Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1948, no. 142 as 'A Devonshire Stream'
- Loan Exhibition of Water-Colour Drawings by Francis Towne (1740-1816) The property of A.P. Oppe Esq. C.B., Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1949, no. 106
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.