- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near Glarus
- ca. 1780 - 1790
- Pencil, watercolour, gum
- image height 307mm,
- image length 234mm
- mounted by the artist
- artist's mount, verso
- “Near Glaris / Francis Towne”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Sotheby's records (image)
Sold at Sotheby’s on 6 July 2010, lot 211, for £6,250 (incl fees). It was sold by American owners, in whose family it had been for many years (and certainly since December 1978). Probably this is the drawing that was with the Fine Art Society in London in 1939 and 1941. On 27 May 1939 they sold a “Near Glaris” to H. G. Paterson. “Near Glaris” is also recorded as having been sold on 11 November 1941 to M. Guerin (perhaps the French art historian of that name?). Various twentieth-century pencil inscriptions on the back of the mount may add weight to the suggestion that the Fine Art Society drawing is the one sold at Sotheby’s in 2010. One, “Mr Jamerac / 1 Saint[?] Oal / 1/3”, might be associated with the ownership by Guerin, since, though it is difficult to read, it has a somewhat French character. Other inscriptions include a dealer’s stock number “A11527” with a price in code, “HX/-/-”, and a rubbed-out price.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Sotheby's, London, London, 6 July 2010, lot 211
- [?] M. Guerin, 11 November 1941
- [?] H. G. Paterson, 27 May 1939
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 100 or 108 as 'Near Glaris'
- [?] Exhibition of Early English Watercolours, Fine Art Society, 1939, no. no.19 as 'Near Glaris verso s.i. as title'
- [?] Exhibition of Early English Watercolours, Fine Art Society, 1941, no. no.4 as 'Near Glaris'
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.