- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near Llyn Cwellyn
- Llyngwellyn, Caernarvonshire
- near Mynydd Mawr
- Bridge and Waterfall, near Llyngwellyn
- Bridge and Waterfall near Llyngwellyn
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 287mm,
- image length 435mm
- vertical crease down the centre of the paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt.1777”
- artist's mount, verso
- Formerly (?): “Near Llyn gwellyn / Savile House Leicester Sqre.”, dated “1777” with a further erased date, numbered “30”, and inscribed with an indication of the light and that it was made “on the spot”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé records; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP116). In July 1924 they sold it to Agnew’s (no.10548) for £40 or £42, where it was purchased on 16 July 1926 for £55 by the current owner, the Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle, whose records state that the purchase was made by the Walker Mechanics Institute, Newcastle upon Tyne, at the Medici Society in Harrogate, the institute lending the drawing to the Laing between 1926 and 1942, when it gave it to the gallery.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Laing Art Gallery, Newcastle, 16 July 1926, GBP 55, TWCMS : B8043
Records state that the purchase was made by the Walker Mechanics Institute, Newcastle upon Tyne, at the Medici Society in Harrogate, the institute lending the drawing to the Laing between 1926 and 1942, when it gave it to the gallery.
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 16 July 1926, GBP 40-42, no.10548
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP116
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP116
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 32 as 'Llyngwellyn, Caernarvonshire' or 34 as 'near Mynydd Mawr'
- Exhibition of Selected Watercolour Drawings by Artists of the Early English School, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1921, no. 37 as 'Bridge and Waterfall, near Llyngwellyn'
- British Watercolours, Laing Art Gallery, 1993, no. 24
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 73, 137
- Henry Penruddocke Wyndham, A Tour Through Monmouthshire and Wales Made in the Months of June and July 1774 and in the months of June, July and August 1777: Salisbury, 1781, p. 126
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.