- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near Marlpool, Exmouth
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image height 230mm,
- image length 185mm
- sheet, verso
- “This taken near Marlpool Exmouth / Septr. 1st. 1794 F.Towne / Evening sun on the right hand side”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP210a). In September 1934 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery for £6 6s., where it was purchased in 1937 by the current owner, the Potteries Museum in Stoke-on-Trent (1937.FA.261).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Potteries Museum & Art Gallery, 1937, 1937.FA.261
- Squire Gallery, September 1934, GBP 6.6s
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP210a
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP210a
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.