- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Near the Arco Oscuro
- A hollow near the Arco Oscuro
- pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour
- image height 320mm,
- image length 472mm
- laid paper with a vertical crease across its centre
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower centre
- "F.Towne. delt. Rome / Novr. 28. 1780. No.14"
- in black ink
- artist's mount, verso
- "No.14 / Near the Arco Scuro. [scratched out "May 7th. 1781"] / Rome. Francis Towne. delt."
- in brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744-1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (1972.U.730 / Nn.2.20)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 154, 155 or 156 as Near the Arco Oscuro
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1934, no. 298
- British Artists in Rome 1700-1800, Iveagh Bequest, Kenwood House, 1974, no. 140
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- British Landscape Watercolours 1600-1860 at the British Museum, British Museum, 1985, no. 33
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 76, 124
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 154
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 67
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.