- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- On the Banks of the Tiber near Ponte Molle
- Banks of the Tiber, near Ponte Molle
- ca. 1780/10
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, watercolour with touches of scratching out
- image height 205mm,
- image length 402mm
- two sheets of laid paper
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne / delt. 1780”
- in brown ink, gone over in lighter brown ink. This inscription is on the right-hand sheet.
- sheet, recto, lower centre
- “F.Towne.delt / Rome 1780 No4”
- in black ink, and cut off at the bottom. This inscription is on the left-hand sheet
- sheet, verso
- indistinct inscription
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome . No4. / Banks of the Tyber near Ponte Molle / drawn on the Spot by Francis Towne / [“Octr[. . .]” scratched out] 1780[inserted after the scratched-out date] / from 3 till 5 O’Clock afternoon”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.04).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 145 as 'On the banks of the Tyber near Ponte Molle'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 123
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 109
- 1 Nicolas-Didier Boguet, Chapel of S. Giuliano, 1783 (Hornsby 2002).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.