- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- On the Palatine Hill
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image height 314mm,
- image length 470mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt / [. . .] No.27”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.27 / On the Palatine Mount, looking towards Mount Aventine. Febry 8h 1781 [over scratched-out “Febry 5th 1781”] / Rome Francis Towne delt. / Mrs. J. Fortescue. of Buckland House, Devonshire / had a Copy of this [“Janry 1786” scratched out]”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.1).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 174, 175, 176, 177 or 178 as 'On the Palatine Mount'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 125
- 1 Richard Wilson, View on the Palatine Hill, early 1750s (Ford 1951).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.