- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- On the side of the Rhine near the Source
- On the Side of the Rhine near the Source, Light Coming from the Right
- ca. 1781/08
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, brown, grey, and blue washes
- image height 286mm,
- image length 294mm
- on paper watermarked Heawood 3348 (ie HONIG]
- sheet, verso
- “No4 No17 / August”
- artist's mount, verso
- “On the side of the Rhine near the source, light coming from the right [hand side, Aug 29th.?]”
- Formerly inscribed in ink “on a separate slip of paper on the mount” (according to an old card index file in the museum records, which also states that it is no longer with the drawing)
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP62, On the side of the Rhine near the source Aug 29 No.17). In 1937 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery for £4 14s. 6d. Iolo Anuerin Williams (1890–1962) acquired this drawing at an unknown date and it was bought from him/P&D Colnaghi in August 1964 for £700 by Paul Mellon (1907–1999). Mellon gave it to the present owner, the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven (B1977.14.5770; gift to Yale, December 1977).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, December 1977, B1977.14.5770
- Mr Paul Mellon (1907 - 1999), August 1964, GBP 700
- Iolo Anuerin Williams (1890 - 1962)
- Squire Gallery, London, 1937, GBP 4 14s. 6d.
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP62
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP62
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 149
- William Coxe, Travels in Switzerland in a Series of Letters to William Melmouth Esq, T. Cadell: London, 1789, vol 3, pp. 168-169
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.