- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Part of the Palatine Hill
- ca. 1781/02/09
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 471mm,
- image length 321mm
- laid paper watermarked "WHATMAN"
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne delt / Rome. No28”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.28. / Part of the Palatine mount. Feby 9th 1781 [the date over scratched-out “Feby 8th 1781”] from 10 till 12 O Clock / Rome Francis Towne. delt.”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.02).
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 174, 175, 176, 177 or 178 as On the Palatine Mount
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 200
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 76, 125
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 110
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.