- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Peamore (?)
- No date
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Barton Place catalogue; Paul Oppé notes
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744-1825) on whose death it passed to Towne's residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779-1844) and his successors. Merivale's grand-daughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853-1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860-1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP240), whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP240
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP240
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 132
- Leeds City Art Gallery, Leeds Art Calendar, No. 26: Leeds, 1954, p. 12
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 125
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.