- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Pont Ddu
- Pont Dû, near Festiniog, Merioneth
- Pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 216mm,
- image length 279mm
- sheet, verso
- “Pont dhu [. . .] drawn on the Spot”, numbered “17”, and dated “5th July 1777”
- paper watermarked with a fleur-de-lis design with the letters
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Paul Oppé notes; Barton Place catalogue
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP108). Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery in July 1935 for £12 (Herbert Milling of Squire Gallery visited Judith Merivale in November 1933 and expressed an interest then in buying this drawing). In 1936 it appears to have been on sale at Walker’s Galleries, and is now in a private collection in Clwyd (Inland Revenue Tax Exempt Heritage Item Ref. 17591).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection, Clwyd, 17591
- [?] Walker's Galleries, London, 1936
- Squire Gallery, London, July 1935, GBP 12
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945), Oxford, May 1915, BP108
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928), Oxford, May 1915, BP108
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- 1 Paul Oppé records: notes, ca. 1915.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.