- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- ca. 1774
- Pen and grey ink, grey wash
- image height 457mm,
- image length 610mm
- paper has a vertical creasemark down its centre and is watermarked with "GR"
- "This view of Powderham to be painted in a size four times as large each way by order of Lord Courtenay Oct the 22nd 1774" and numbered "86"
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Powderham Castle, Powderham Castle
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Notebooks and papers of Paul Oppé (1878-1957), private collection
Information at the Witt Library, Courtauld Institute of Art, London
Archives of Thomas Agnew & Sons Ltd
Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it reverted to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawings in May 1915 (BP170). Judith Merivale appears never to have sold the drawing, in which case probably her executors sold it in 1945 or 1946 onto the London art market. At any rate, on 28 June 1946 the Fine Art Society (no.4126) sold the drawing for £26 5s. to the 17th Earl of Devon, and the drawing remains in a private collection.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Charles Courtenay, 17th Earl of Devon (1916 - 1998)
- The Fine Art Society, London
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Private Collection
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Annual Water Colour Exhibition 1926, The Judge's Lodgings, Winchester, 1926, no. 121 as 'Powderham'
- [?] Autumn Exhibition of Early English Water-Colours and Drawings (2nd ed), Fine Art Society, 1946, no. 33 as 'View of Powderham, 1774'
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 101
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 140
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 36
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.