- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Powderham Castle
- ca. 1770 - 1780
- Pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image width 146mm,
- image length 295mm
- paper with a vertical crease down the centre, watermarked with an encircled "GR" below a crown
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Information at Christie's, London
Untraced until acquired by Spink & Son on 17 June 1976. It was on sale at Spink’s 1977 exhibition and they sold it at Christie’s on 18 June 1980, lot 69, for £418.75 to a UK private collector. Given the coincidence of subject, the drawing catalogued here may well be BP222, which the Barton Place catalogue called House-Powderham and which Judith Merivale attempted to sell in the late 1930s but which was returned to her unsold in October 1939. BP222 was probably the drawing on sale at Squire Gallery in 1938.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Spink & Son, London
- Squire Gallery
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- [?] Annual Water Colour Exhibition 1926, The Judge's Lodgings, Winchester, 1926, no. 121 as 'Powderham'
- [?] Exhibition of Watercolours and Drawings from Francis Barlow to Henry Tonks, Squire Gallery, London, 1938, no. no.12, as 'From Powderham Park'
- English Watercolour Drawings, Spink & Son, London, 1977, no. no.22, as 'A View of Powderham Castle, Devon, From the Park.'
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.