- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Rydal Water
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour
- image height 157mm,
- image length 237mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F.Towne . delt. 1786 / No8.”
- artist's mount, verso
- “Taken at the going off of / a storm / No.8 / Rydal Water / with Mr. Jones’s & Sir Michael Fleming / Drawn by Francis Towne / [“1786” scratched out] / London [“Leicester Square / 1790” scratched out]”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and gave it on 19 May 1921 to the current owner, the Victoria and Albert Museum (P.19-1921).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 19 May 1921, P.19-1921
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 68, 76 or 90 as 'Rydal Water'
- Prospects, Thresholds, Interiors, Victoria and Albert Museum, 1994, no. 7
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 47
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 128
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 168
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 121
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 112
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.