- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Santa Maria a Monte
- Pencil, pen and grey ink, grey-brown and blue washes
- image height 318mm,
- image length 457mm
- laid paper, Whatman watermark
- “St. Maria a Monte / Naples / No.15 / March 31st, 1781”
- in grey ink
- “Francis Towne”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the work
Information at Christie's, London
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1824), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughters Maria Sophia Merivale (1853–1928) and Judith Ann Merivale (1860–1945), both of Oxford, inherited the drawing in May 1915 (BP33). Prior to 1933 the drawing was on loan to Miss (Anna) Nevins of Shaw Farm, Waterford, Connecticut (see also FT100; the Barton Place catalogue suggests that they possessed one further, unidentified, framed work), and in 1933 Judith Merivale sold it to Squire Gallery for £6 10s., where Leonard Duke (1889–1971; no.D550) acquired it the same year in exchange for a Gainsborough drawing. Duke sold it in November 1955 to Nigel Warren QC (1912–1967). It was offered for sale at Christie’s on 6 June 2002, lot 10, probably by Warren’s heirs, but did not reach its reserve.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Christie's, London
- Leonard Duke (1889 - 1971)
- Anna L Nevins (1861/2 - 1958/9)
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844)
- Judith Ann Merivale (1860 - 1945)
- Maria Sophia Merivale (1853 - 1928)
- Squire Gallery
- Nigel Warren (1912 - 1967)
- James White (1744 - 1825)
- Exhibition History
- Festival Exhibition, South London Gallery, 1951, no. 55
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, pp. 70, 152
- Iolo Aneurin Williams, Early English Watercolours, and some cognate drawings by artists not later than 1785, Connoisseur: London, 1952, p. 153
- 1 Letter from Anthony Blunt to the Whitworth Gallery dated 1 June 1982, quoted in ed. Francis W.Hawcroft, Travels in Italy, Whitworth Art Gallery: Manchester, 1988, p.104.
- 2 Thomas Jones ed. Paul Oppé, 'Memoirs of Thomas Jones', The Walpole Society, 32: London, 1951, p.104; entry for 2 June 1781.
- 3 Joseph Farington eds. Kenneth Garlick and Angus Mackintyre, The Diary of Joseph Farington, IV: Yale Univeristy Press: London and New Haven, 1978, p.1554, entry for Wednesday 27 May 1801.
- 4 One was shown, ex cat., at the Francis Towne exhibition at Tate Britain in 1997, and another is reproduced in that exhibition’s catalogue (erroneously dated 19 March).
- 5 Thomas Jones, Italian Account Book, National Library of Wales, Aberwystwyth, 2003, accessed 18 January 2005: http://www.llgc.org.uk/pencerrig/thjones_s0011.htm
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.