- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Mountainous Landscape
- Oil on wood
- image height 440mm,
- image length 560mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “F.Towne 1778”
- Object Type
- Oil painting
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Sotheby’s records (image)
Untraced until its sale at Christie’s (as View in Devonshire) on 3 July 1953, lot 161, for £71 8s. including fees to West. On 8 November 1957 it was sold by the Leonard Koetser Gallery, Duke Street, to Agnew’s (no.2206), from where on 26 August 1959 it was sold to Roger, Viscount Walberton (1922–1969, later 2nd Earl of Woolton). It was offered for sale at Sotheby’s on 26 March 2004, lot 58, when it did not sell. Given its size, medium, and subject matter, this is probably the picture Paul Oppé described in his 1920 article as “‘A mountainous landscape’ of 1778, till lately Lord Redesdale’s at Batsford Park”. That was sold by Lord Reresdale at Bruton, Knowles & Co on 2 May 1919, lot 596, to Messrs Lea & Co., Antique Dealers of St Aldate St., Gloucester. At auction in 1919 it was described as Mountainous Landscape, oil on panel, 16.75 x 21.5 in. [425 x 546 mm] and was one of two works by Towne sold (the other being FT417).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- Sotheby's, London, London, 26 March 2004, lot 58
- Viscount Walberton, later 2nd Earl of Woolton Roger David Walberton (1922 - 1969), 26 August 1959
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 8 November 1957, no.2206
- Leonard Koetser Gallery, London, 8 November 1957
- Private Collection, 3 July 1953, GBP 71 8s
Sold to “West”
- Christie's, London, London, 3 July 1953
- [?] Lea and Co, Gloucester, Gloucester, 2 May 1919, lot 596
- [?] Bruton, Knowles & Co, Bruton, 2 May 1919, lot 596
- [?] Lord Redesdale
- 1 Paul Oppé records: Towne file.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.