- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- St Peter’s from above the Arco Oscuro
- Pencil, pen and black and brown ink, watercolour with gum
- image height 321mm,
- image length 467mm
- laid paper watermarked "WHATMAN"
- mounted by the artist on paper watermarked "J WHATMAN 1794"
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “No41 / F.Towne / delt 1781”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome / No41 / St Peters taken above the Arco scuro, the Vatican & Library in which is a pillar / of transparent Oriental jasper / Drawn on the Spot by Francis Towne 1781 [over scratched-out “June 28th 1781”] sun setting on the right hand”
- in brown ink other than “1781”, which is in dark brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.14).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 180 as 'A view of St.Peter's, with the Vatican and Belvedere, taken near the Arco Oscuro'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Travels in Italy 1776-1783 based on the Memoirs of Thomas Jones, Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester, 1988, no. 22
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 30
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 113
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 76, 126
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 121
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.