- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Tarr Steps, near Withypool
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 395mm,
- image length 540mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto
- artist's mount, verso
- “Drawn by Francis Towne, 1790”
- Object Type
Commissioned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1752–1794), and descended in his family until being offered for sale by Sir Richard Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1906–1990), at Sotheby’s on 21 November 1968, lot 32, where it did not sell (bidding reached £850). It was sold at Sotheby’s on 19 March 1981, lot 106, to Leger Galleries, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leger Galleries, 21 November 1981
- Sotheby's, London, London, 19 March 1981, lot 106
- Sotheby's, London, London, 21 November 1968, lot 32
Bidding reached £850, but did not sell.
- Sir Richard Thomas Acland (1906 - 1990), November 1968
- Sir Thomas Dyke Acland (1752 - 1794), Exwick, Exeter, 1790
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of English Watercolours, Leger Galleries, 1981, no. 7
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 122
- 1 Paul Oppé records.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.