- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- Temple of Bacchus Two Miles from Rome
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour with gum
- image height 229mm,
- image length 321mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “F Towne / Rome. No8”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “No.8, / Temple of Bacchus 2 miles from Rome [indistinct date scratched out] / Rome Francis Towne delt. / 1780[in dark brown ink]”
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Examination; Museum records (image)
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.2.08).
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 140 or 141 as 'Temple of Bacchus in the middle distance'
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 199
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 123
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 120
- 1 British Museum, Department of Prints and Drawings, dated 23 March 1777 (1981,0516.17.52).
- 2 W. Byrne after John “Warwick” Smith, The Church of S Agnese fuori della Mura, 1792; Soane Museum drawings, Drawer 45, Set 3, no.3.
- 3 Richard Wilson: The Church of S Agnese fuori della Mura, ca. 1753–4 (Ford 1951).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.