- The Alps near the Source of the Rhine, descending Mount Splugen
- No date
- Pen and ink, grey and blue wash
- image height 217mm,
- image width 210mm
- sheet, recto
- “Snow” on mountain peak
- artist's mount, verso
- “The Alps near the source of the Rhine / descending Mount Splugen. Light L / FT JWA”
- Object Type
- Monochrome wash
Sold by the artist’s great-granddaughter Rosetta Frances Dobson (1892–1965) to Agnew’s (no.2605) on 3 December 1937 among a group of twenty-five John White Abbott drawings (including FT818, FT833c, FT835). Agnew’s sold it on 27 April 1938 to Henry Herbert Harrod (d.1945), who bequeathed it to its present owner, the Victoria and Albert Museum, London (E.2-1948).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 1948, E.2-1948
- Henry Herbert Harrod (1870 - 1945), 27 April 1938
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 3 December 1937, no.2605
- Rosetta Frances Dobson (1892 - 1965), 1937
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.