- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Barle River
- Pencil, watercolour
- image height 387mm,
- image length 546mm
- sheet, recto
- signed and dated “1790”
- signed and dated
- Object Type
Commissioned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1752–1794), for 8 guineas, and descended in his family until sold by Sir Richard Thomas Dyke Acland, Bt (1906–1990), at Sotheby’s on 21 November 1968, lot 33, for £1,600 to Leger Galleries, whereafter it is untraced.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Leger Galleries, 21 November 1968
- Sotheby's, London, London, 21 November 1968, GBP 1600, lot 33
- Sir Richard Thomas Acland (1906 - 1990), November 1968
- Sir Thomas Dyke Acland (1752 - 1794), GBP 8 guineas
- Exhibition History
- English Occasions, Leger Galleries, 1969
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 122
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.