- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Baths of Caracalla
- Pencil, pen and black ink, watercolour
- image width 326mm,
- image length 477mm
- laid paper with a vertical crease down centre of paper, watermarked with a fleur-de-lis within coronet design
- mounted by the artist on wove paper watermarked "1811"
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “No33 / Francis Towne / delt 1781”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome / Morning light from the left hand / No33 / The Baths of Caracalla / Janry 1781 drawn on the Spot by Francis Towne”
- in brown ink, in shaky (late) handwriting
- Object Type
- Catalogue Number
- Description Sources
- Author's examination of the object
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.7).
- Exhibition History
- Royal Academy Bicentenary Exhibition, Royal Academy of Arts, 1968, no. 673
- Francis Towne, Tate Gallery; Leeds City Art Gallery, 24 June 1997 - 4 January 1998, no. 22
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 76, 125
- Martin Hardie, Water-Colour Painting in Britain, ed. Dudley Snelgrove, London: B. T. Batsford, 1966, p. 120
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 157
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 111
- 1 British Museum, 1936,0704.25.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.