- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Baths of Caracalla
- Pencil, pen and grey and brown ink, watercolour, gum
- image height 325mm,
- image length 504mm
- two sheets of laid paper with a vertical crease down the centre of the larger sheet
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower right
- “No35 / F.Towne. delt / Janry 1781”
- in brown ink
- artist's mount, verso
- “Rome light from the left hand / No35 / The Baths of Caracalla / Janry 1781 [the date over the inscription “Janry 1781”] drawn / on the Spot by / Francis Towne”
- in brown ink
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), who gave it in 1816 to the present owner, the British Museum, London (Nn.1.9).
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 181 as 'Baths of Caracalla'
- unidentified exhibition, British Museum, 1981
- Light, time, legacy: Francis Towne’s watercolours of Rome, British Museum, 2016
- Laurence Binyon, Catalogue of Drawings by British Artists and Artists of Foreign Origin Working in Great Britain Preserved in the Department of Prints and Drawings in the British Museum, Trustees of the British Museum: London, 1907, p. 201
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 76, 125
- Henri Lemaitre, Le Paysage Anglais a l'Aquarelle 1760-1951, Bordas: Paris, 1955, p. 157
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 111
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 69
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.