- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Bowder Stone
- The Bouder Stone in Burrowdale
- ca. 1786
- Pencil, pen and ink, watercolour
- image height 210mm,
- image length 337mm
- sheet, verso
- “Boulderstone in Borrowdale”
- in pencil, according to Paul Oppé
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and her sister Frances Ann Laura Solly (b.1858) sold it on 28 January 1943 to Agnew’s (no.3423) for £18. The same day it was bought by The Sheffield Town Trust for £25 and the museum’s records state that it was bequeathed by Maleham(?) in 1946 to the current owner Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield (no.2172).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield, Sheffield, 1946, no.2172
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 28 January 1943, no.3423
- Frances Ann Laura Solly (1858 - alive in 1932)
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 91 or 92 as 'The Bouder Stone in Burrowdale'
- [?] Annual Exhibition of Water-Colour & Pencil Drawings, Thomas Agnew & Sons, 1936, no. 81
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, p. 136
- Paul Oppé, 'Francis Towne, Landscape Painter', The Walpole Society: London, 1920, p. 121
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 122
- 1 Paul Oppé records.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.