- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Cascade at Rydal Hall
- The Cascade, looking from the window of the Summer-house at Rydal
- Pencil, pen and brown ink, watercolour with gum
- image height 236mm,
- image length 157mm
- mounted by the artist
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “[“No 20 / F.Towne” partly whitened out] delt. / [“1786” partly whitened out]”, and just below the bridge, “A” in pencil
- artist's mount, verso
- “A View of / The Cascade at Rydal-hall the / seat of Sir Michael le Fleming / seen through the window of the / summer-house / Drawn on the Spot / by / Francis Towne. / London”
- with the words “Leicester Square” erased, perhaps appearing before the word “London”
- Object Type
Bequeathed by the artist in 1816 to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it passed to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. Merivale’s granddaughter Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853–1923) inherited the drawing in 1915 and on 7 November 1924 she sold it to Agnew’s (no.10588), where it was bought on 17 November 1924 by R. F. Goldschmidt of Manchester (d. ca. 1941) for £28. It was bought in 1941 by Jock Ring of Square Cottage, Hazel Lane, Richmond, and bequeathed in 1954 by Dr Grete Ring to the current owner, the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford (WA1954.70.216).
- Associated People & Organisations
- Ashmolean Museum, Oxford, 1954, WA1954.70.216
- Grete Ring (1887 - 1952), London
- Jock Ring, London, 1941
- R. F. Goldschmidt ( - ca. 1941), Manchester, 17 November 1924, GBP 28
- Thomas Agnew & Sons, London, 7 November 1924, no.10588
- Emily Harriet Buckingham (1853 - 1923), 1915
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Exhibition History
- Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 71 as 'The Cascade, looking from the window of the Summer-house at Rydal'
- David Blaney Brown, Ashmolean Museum Catalogue of Drawings Vol 4: Earlier English Drawings, Clarendon: Oxford, 1982, p. 629
- Adrian Bury, Francis Towne - Lone Star of Water-Colour Painting, Charles Skilton: London, 1962, pp. 95, 130
- Timothy Wilcox, Francis Towne, Tate Publishing: London, 1997, p. 122
- 1 Paul Oppé records.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.