- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The Cascade of Terni
- No date
- (?) Oil on canvas
- Object Type
- Oil painting
Bequeathed by the artist to James White of Exeter (1744–1825), on whose death it reverted to Towne’s residuary legatee John Herman Merivale (1779–1844) and his successors. In 1890 it was in the possession of William Buckingham, the husband of Merivale’s daughter Elizabeth (1822–92).
- Associated People & Organisations
- William Buckingham, 1890
- John Herman Merivale (1779 - 1844), 1825
- James White (1744 - 1825), Exeter, 1816
- Winslow Jones, 'Francis Towne Landscape Painter', Notes and Gleanings: a monthly magazine devoted chiefly to subjects connected with the counties of Devon and Cornwall, ed. William Cotton (ed.), No. 26: Exeter, 1890, p. 18
- 1 Jones 1890, p.18.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.