- Francis Towne (1739 - 1816)
- The City and Lake of Como
- No date
- Pencil, watercolour, gum, scratching out
- image height 505mm,
- image length 760mm
- sheet, recto, lower left
- “Francis Towne / delt 1800”
- in brown ink, over an erased date, probably “1796”, as the middle two digits go below the line and the fourth goes above
- Object Type
Untraced prior to its sale at Sotheby’s on 11 November 1993, lot 40, for £3,800. It was sold again at Sotheby’s on 30 June 2005, lot 251, for £5,000, presumably to John Spink, who offered it for sale in November 2005.
- Associated People & Organisations
- Private Collection
- John Spink, London, November 2005
- Sotheby's, London, London, 30 June 2005, GBP 5000, lot 251
- Sotheby's, London, London, 11 November 1993, GBP 3800, lot 40
- Exhibition History
- [?] Exhibition of Original Drawings at the Gallery, No.20 Lower Brook Street, Grosvenor Square, 20 Lower Brook Street, 1805, no. 128 as 'The City and Lake of Como'
- The Exhibition of the Royal Academy, Royal Academy of Arts, 1808, no. 467 as 'The City and Lake of Como'
- Francis Towne and his Friends, John Spink at Colnaghi, 2005, no. 13
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.